Burnley manager Vincent Kompany hilariously ruled out a move for the newly available free agent Cristiano Ronaldo as the Clarets revealed he “need players who can run”.
While speaking as a pundit on the BBC’s coverage of France vs Australia at the Qatar World Cup, Vincent Kompany said Cristiano Ronaldo’s prospective transfer into his Burnley team would not be feasible as the Portuguese don’t fit in the team.
During the coverage, presenter Gary Lineker talked about Ronaldo’s contract with Manchester United being ridden off via mutual agreement following the Portuguese captain’s bombshell interview with Piers Morgan last week.
In the process, Lineker asked the 36-year-old Burnley boss Vincent Kompany whether or not he would accept Ronaldo at Burnley, who are presently top of the Championship under their Belgian coach’s leadership.
The 36-year-old former Manchester City defender jokingly replied: “We need players who can run.”
“He can’t even get in the Burnley team?! Surely not, I’m not having that,” Lineker reacted.
The former Manchester City star Vincent Kompany further revealed that he didn’t think anyone at Manchester United would outlive the Portuguese captain’s lashing in his explosive interview, except the United boss Erik ten Hag.
Ronaldo’s sudden exit from United in January could speed up the club’s plans to sign a new center-forward and thereby help United to progress.
Vincent Kompany noted: “I think that in the end, everybody loses, except perhaps the Manchester United manager. I think it’s a problem that’s resolved and they’ll move on from this, I’m sure.”
The 37-year-old Ronaldo will be looking for a new club once the Qatar World Cup is over.
The Portuguese forward had his reported £500,000-a-week deal with Manchester United ripped up by the club following his unruly interview with Piers Morgan.
The five-time Ballon d’Or holder, who is currently on International duty with Portugal as he hopes to win his first World Cup title, has been left frustrated after being reduced to an unimportant member of United’s team this season.
The Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo revealed he felt “betrayed” during the 90-minute explosive interview with Piers Morgan, where he said he has no respect for United coach Ten Hag and also criticized some of his former United teammates.
However, Manchester United realm said last week in response to Ronaldo’s hate speech that it had initiated appropriate steps, with the cancellation of Ronaldo’s contract widely expected.
Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to leave Old Trafford by mutual agreement, with immediate effect,” according to United’s official statement on Tuesday.
United’s official response to Ronaldo’s future in the club didn’t convey the club’s chagrin after the unauthorized interview.
The statement further read: “The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.”
It isn’t known which club the 37-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo will go to next after failing to secure a move to a Champions League club in the summer.
Portugal’s legendary frontman, Ronaldo who is now free to find a new club following his release from Manchester United will hopefully aim for a champions league club.
However, this may not happen as some Champions League and Europa league clubs, including Napoli and AS Roma, are backing off their interest to bring in the beleaguered United striker.
Perhaps, a potential transfer might occur as Sporting CP and Chelsea have both been linked to Ronaldo in the past.
Also, a move to either Newcastle United or Saudi Arabian club, Al-Nassar could be the next agenda for the Portuguese forward.