The Australian Open golf tournament will be held in the same location, and at the same time, for men and women to improve its attractiveness, organizers announced Friday.
The tournament will take place in Sandbelt without the Melbourne area, from December 1 to 4, and it will bring together an equal number of players, who will share the winnings, Golf Australia said.
The Victoria Golf Club course will be the main venue for this event, and the Kingston Heath Golf Club course will be used for the first two days.
It’s a blow for Australian golf, it’s a real opportunity for the game, and it’s taking both championships to another level,” said Golf Australia boss James Sutherland. “This decision is in line with our new national strategy and our ambition to attract new viewers,” he added.
For both men and women, the Australian Open was a victim last year of the Covid-19 epidemic. The 2020 men’s edition, a tournament won in the past by players like Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman, and Rory McIlroy had also been canceled due to the pandemic, its first cancellation since 1945.