A British woman, Nicola Bulley, 45, disappeared mysteriously on 27 January 2023, whilst walking her dog in St. Michael’s in Wyre, Lancashire, England. She was last seen walking her dog near the River Wyre in Lancashire. Her mobile phone, still connected to a work call, was found on a nearby bench.
On 19 February, her body was found in the river by a walking man and woman. Later, the police confirmed that it was Bulley’s body.
This article will take you through the whole incident of the unfortunate Nicola Bulley, her disappearance, recovery of her body, and the cause of death.
Who Was Nicola Bulley?
Nicola Bulley was a British woman, aged 45. She was a mother of two daughters with her 44-year-old partner.
Bulley was born in Essex. She moved to Lancashire in the late 1990s. She worked as a mortgage adviser. After her disappearance, police reported that she suffered from issues relating to alcohol and perimenopause.
Nicola Bulley’s Disappearance
Bulley disappeared mysteriously whilst walking her dog near the river Lancashire. A passer-by found her phone on a riverside bench, still connected to a work meeting.
Here we list the approximate timeline of her disappearance, reported by the police investigation.
- 8:40 am GMT: On Friday, 27 January 2023, Nicola Bulley drove from her home to St. Michael’s on Wyre, and dropped her children at school. Then she walked along the River Wyre with her dog Willow.
- 8:53 am: She sent an email to her employer.
- 8:57 am: She sent a text to a friend to arrange a playdate for their children that week.
- 9:01 am: She joined a work-meeting call on Microsoft Teams, keeping her camera and microphone off.
- 9:10 am: She was last seen with her dog Willow on the riverside field.
- 9:30 am: The Microsoft Teams call was ended by its host.
- 9:33 am: A passer-by discovered the phone on the bench, still connected to the Teams call. Willow was alone near the bench, showing no signs of having been in the river.
Police reported that there was no evidence of third-party involvement or suspicious activity. An extensive search in the river and on surrounding land, involving police divers, helicopters, sniffer dogs, and drones, found no body.
Recovery of Body
On 19 February, her body was found in the river by a walking man and woman, about a mile downstream from where she was last seen.
On February 20, the police confirmed that the body was Bulley’s.
“Sadly we are now able to confirm that yesterday we recovered Nicola Bulley from the River Wyre,” Lancashire Police Assistant Chief Constable Peter Lawson told a news conference.
Cause of Death
The cause of the death of Nicola Bulley is believed to be drowning in the River Wyne. It has not yet been established.