The heavyweight showdown between champion Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder has been postponed to an indefinite period for now after a COVID outbreak in the Gypsy King’s infected him and other members of the training camp.
Both heavyweights were originally set to exchange haymakers on July 24 in Las Vegas.
At first, according to veteran boxing journalist Mike Coppinger, Top Rank said that it is monitoring the and haven’t yet changed the date and venue of the Wilder v Fury trilogy fight.
“We continue to monitor the health status of Tyson and his team and the status of the event has not changed to date.”
— #WVTM13 (@WVTM13) July 8, 2021
Later, it was confirmed that the entire Fury contingent had contracted the virus from an unnamed sparring partner in the camp.
On June 15, Top Rank head Bob Arum had claimed that the entire camp of both boxers were fully vaccinated. It is now believed that either Fury’s camp was not administered the vaccine jabs or they were due to receive the second dose.
The Gype King has himself not commented on the matter yet, but his father has. John Fury seemed frustrated with the camp member who was exposed to the virus first.
While addressing a dinner in England, John remarked: “I was shocked. You don’t want these things to happen. It is off.”
“Apparently one of the sparring partners brought it in. He’s infected the full team. These things happen in life. He will have to reschedule.”
We still await any response directly from Deontay Wilder, but his co-manager Shelly Finkel has revealed that the boxer is upset by the news.
“Again now, he did wrong and I’m the one being penalised,” Wilder reportedly said in reaction to the news, as quoted by his co-manager.
Finkell told the Athletic: “They didn’t do what they said they had and what they should have done as professional athletes. There’s so much money, prestige and things riding on this, and we all have a job to do to make sure it happens on time.”
Fury is 1-0 up in the trilogy as he beat Wilder in the rematch held last February.
The Bronze Bomber’s corner had to throw in the towel to put an end to the beating of their fighter in the seventh round.
Boxing fans are unhappy with the postponement of the Wilder vs Fury trilogy bout. Some even believe that Fury is intentionally trying to avoid Wilder in the rematch and wants more time for training.
Nonetheless, Matchroom Sports head Eddie Hearn has said that Dillian Whyte is eager to replace Fury for the July 24 bout.
This is no surprise to the boxing fraternity as Whyte had been calling out the Bronze Bomber on social media for a long time.
He had even left cheeky comments on Wilder’s videos of lifting heavy weights while performing bench press during his training for the Fury bout.
But the Bomber has not shown much attention to the callouts as he has been pushing for a third matchup against Fury ever since the 2020 loss.