When it comes to sports, Ireland is a nation that punches above its weight. From team and individual sports to extreme sports, the Emerald Isle boasts a rich tapestry of athletic prowess and passionate fans. However, not all sports are popular across the country.
So, which sports are the most popular for betting in Ireland? Which ones offer the best odds, the most markets, and the juiciest offers?
Let’s not keep you guessing for long. Some of the sports on our list will surprise you.
Popular Sports to Bet in Ireland
While new inventions such as eSports have their place, many Irish people prefer to bet more on traditional sports. Here are the top four most popular sports in Ireland that people love to bet on.
Hurling: The Fast and Furious Game
If you’re not from Ireland, there’s a chance you might not have heard of hurling. This ancient game is one of the most exciting and unique sports in the world. Hurling is a fast and furious game that combines the skills of soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey.
So why is hurling such a popular sport for betting? Well, for starters, the odds are usually pretty good. With so many variables at play – weather conditions, injuries, form, and tactics – there’s always a chance for an upset and a new opportunity to place a bet.
Keep the following in mind as you bet on hurling:
- Do your research: Check the form of the teams, the history of the rivalry, and any injuries or suspensions.
- Shop around for the best odds: Don’t settle for the first bookmaker you come across – check out comparison sites like Betinireland.ie to see which bookies are offering the best deals.
- Don’t be afraid to mix things up: Try different betting markets, such as over/under goals or first scorer, to keep things interesting.
Here are the best sites in Ireland for betting on hurling events:
- Bet365: Best hurling betting site
- Betway: Best hurling betting odds
- 888Sport: Best live hurling site
Rugby: The Tough and Tactical Game
Rugby is another sport that’s hugely popular in Ireland. Whether you’re a fan of the provincial teams – Munster, Leinster, Connacht, and Ulster – or the national team, the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU), there’s always something to get exciting with rugby.
From a betting perspective, rugby can be a tricky sport to master. The tactical nature of the game means that even the strongest team can struggle if they’re not playing to their full strength. However, if you’re willing to put in the effort, rugby can be a rewarding sport to bet on.
When it comes to rugby betting, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Pay attention to the weather: Rain and wind can play a huge role in the outcome of a game, especially if the teams are evenly matched.
- Consider the form of the teams: Are they coming off a big win or a tough loss? Are they missing any key players due to injury or suspension?
- Be patient: Rugby is a game that can swing back and forth, so don’t panic if your team goes behind early on. Stick to your strategy and trust your instincts.
Here are our favorite Irish rugby betting sites:
- BoyleSports: Best rugby betting site
- Pokerstars Sports: Best rugby betting odds
- Ladbrokes: Best rugby live betting site
- Sportaza: Best rugby free bet
Football (Soccer): The Beautiful Game
You were looking for it; weren’t you? Well, here it is, football – or as Americans call it, soccer. Ireland might not have the same storied history in football as some other countries, but the national team and the domestic leagues are still hugely popular, even among bettors.
Talking about betting, football is a great sport to get into. The 11-a-side game is easy to understand, making it easy for beginners to bet on. With so many matches played all over the world, there’s always something to bet on. The many different leagues and competitions in football also mean there’s plenty of variety in terms of betting markets and odds.
So what should you keep in mind when betting on soccer?
- Pay attention to the form of the teams: Are they in a hot streak or a slump? Have they been scoring a lot of goals or struggling to find the back of the net?
- Consider the importance of the match: Is it a must-win game for one team, or are both sides already through to the next round?
- Be wary of the big-name teams: While they might be the favorites, they’re not always a safe bet. Sometimes, the underdogs can surprise you.
Here are the best betting sites for football in the IE according to betinireland.ie and for the UK according to research done by football.london:
- Sportaza: Best football free bet offer
- Ladbrokes: Best football live betting site
- Pokerstars Sports: Best football odds betting site
- William Hill: Best football betting site
Golf: The Gentleman’s Game
Finally, let’s talk about golf – a sport that’s steeped in tradition and elegance. While it might not have the same mainstream popularity as hurling, rugby, or football, golf is still a hugely popular sport for betting in Ireland.
Major golf tournaments are always big events to bet on. With so many different players to choose from, you can always find some value in the odds.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to golf betting:
- Do your research: Check the form of the players and any recent injuries or setbacks.
- Consider the odds: Long shots can come in, so don’t be afraid to take a chance on outsiders.
- Be patient: These tournaments are often four-day affairs, so don’t panic if your choice has a slow start. Stick to your strategy and see how things pan out.
Here are some of our top golf betting bookies in 2023:
- Ladbrokes: Best golf betting site
- William Hill: Best in-play betting site
- BetVictor: Best free bet offer
- Unibet: Best golf betting odds
No matter which sports you choose to bet on, it’s a good idea to use predictions and comparison sites, including Betinireland.ie which is the got to site for online betting, Oddschecker, and SportsNewsIreland.com to help you find the best odds, betting markets, and offers. These sites can save you time and money by doing the legwork for you, so you can focus on enjoying the experience.
While online betting can be fun, it can very easily become addictive. If you think you’re battling problem gambling, reach out to responsible gambling organisations right away and get help.
Whether you’re a fan of hurling, rugby, football, golf, or all four, there’s always a new opportunity to place a bet and test your knowledge. Just remember to do your research, shop around for the best odds, and above all, have fun!