It seems like the Australian Open 2022 will not move outside Australia despite growing concerns of tennis stars about the country’s quarantine policy.
AO chief Craig Tiley has made it clear that Australia will continue to host the Grand Slam tournament that will commence in January. He refuted the news reports that had suggested Doha or Qatar as the potential venue for that flagship tennis tournament.
In a recent interview, Tiley responded: We’re going to be here in Melbourne, we are going to make it work … We’re going to find a way to get the players here who are currently travelling the world in a bubble. We are the only country where quarantine is required. We’ve got to find a way to manage that and we will.”
On the flip side, the Australian government has affirmed that their borders will remain closed until the middle of 2022. This is likely to only reduce the interest of tennis players, who seemed irritated with the quarantine rules at their hotel rooms last year.
When will Australian Open start?
The tournament will kick off on January 17 (Monday) with men and women’s main draw 1st Round. It will end on January 30 (Sunday). Mixed doubles finals will be followed by the men’s singles final on the last day.
How to get tickets to Australian Open?
You can find every detail about the Grand Slam event here.
Will the big tennis stars participate in AO 2022?
Participation of the big names in tennis still remains unclear as are still many months to go in the tournament. However, a few tennis stars, including World No. 1 Novak Djokovic, have already made it that they won’t be too eager to take part in rest of the season if the isolation rules remain the same.
“Talking to a lot of players, the majority of the players just don’t want to go ahead with the season if we are going to have to quarantine most of the tournaments,” Djokovic had told media after cementing his spot in the semi-finals of the Grand-Slam tournament with a win over Alexander Zverev. He went on to win the Grand Slam tournament.
He advised organisers of the coming events to arrange an NBA-like setup for players by creating bio-secure bubbles.
But this wasn’t the first time the Serb expressed his displeasure for the quarantine rules.
Before last year’s AO had commenced, Djokovic asked the organisers to arrange practice time for players who that they can put their two week-isolation at hotel rooms to some use.
Denis Shapovalov feels the same when it comes to future of the sport amid the pandemic. On March 22, he affirmed that players may pull out of upcoming events due to the coronavirus situation that is coupled with what he feels is meagre amount of prize money.
“I’m just playing because I enjoy it, I enjoy playing the big tournaments. But I am also finding other ways to get motivated,” he said.
“We have obligations from sponsors, contracts that obligate us to play so that’s def 1 reason why a lot of players are still playing, otherwise a lot of players wouldn’t play at all.”