Tennis legend Roger Federer has announced that he has withdrawn from immediate effect from the Roland Garros tournament underway in Paris.
The Swiss veteran had secured a spot in the last 16 of the French Open after beating Germany’s Dominik Koepfer in the third round.
Federer, who has stayed out of action in most Grand Slam tournament this year so far, told the French Open organisers that he wants to focus on the coming Wimbledon competition.
The tennis legend has been dealing with knee issues for a while, a primary reason for his withdrawal from the ongoing Roland Garros.
In a statement, Federer said: “After discussions with my team, I’ve decided I will need to pull out of the French Open today. After two knee surgeries and over a year of rehabilitation it’s important that I listen to my body and make sure I don’t push myself too quickly on my road to recovery. I am thrilled to have gotten three matches under my belt. There is no greater feeling than being back.”
— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) June 6, 2021
He also pulled out of the Australian Open held earlier this year due to his injury. The Grand Slam tournament was clinched by Serbia’s Novak Djokovic.
Nonetheless, his withdrawal from the French Open was on the cards after he had hinted at abandoning his campaign due to the stress and strain on his body from the gruelling late match.
Federer looked weary after playing against Dominik Koepfer for three hours and 35 minutes. But, he eventually bagged the victory 7-6 6-7 7-6 7-5 close to 1 am local time in Paris.
In the post-game press conference, he had said: “I mean, every match here or at Geneva I have to reassess the situation after the match and see how the knee feels the next morning.”
“So from that standpoint for me it’s always like that. There is no difference after a match like this, but maybe even more so after a match like this that has been long. Like I explained before, I have not been through three-and-a-half-hour battles in practice either.”
Italy’s Matteo Berrettini has been handed a walkover as Federer, whom he was to face next, is no more part of the event.
Berrettini will either face World No. 1 Novak Djokovic or teenager Lorenzo Musetti in the quarter-finals.